If you have been selected for the Verification Process, you must provide federal tax data as outlined below. Every student, and parent or spouse if applicable, needs to select one of the three options below and follow the instructions carefully.
1) Worked and filed a Federal Tax Return
A) You may use the IRS Data Retrieval tool to submit your tax data into your FAFSA; OR
B) You may provide IRS Tax Return Transcripts
How to Request Tax Return Transcripts
- You may request a "Tax Return Transcript" on the IRS Website.
- The IRS produces more than one type of transcript. Only Tax Return Transcripts are acceptable to complete this requirement for the verification process.
- Online tax transcript requests are not currently available.
- It typically takes 5-10 days to receive a transcript by mail.
2) Worked, Did Not File a Federal Income Tax Return
A) Please provide all of your 2016 W2 form(s) or 1099 form(s)
B) Parents and Independent students (and spouses) that worked but were not required to file a tax return must also provide an "IRS Verification of Non-Filing Letter". Dependent students are not required to provide this document.
To obtain an IRS Verification of Non-Filing Letter use this form: IRS Form 4506-T.
- Complete sections 1-4.
- Do not enter a third party in number 5 - leave blank.
- Leave the fill in space in number 6 blank.
- Check the boxes to the right of numbers 6a (Return Transcript) and 7- Verification of Non-Filing.
- In number 9, indicate the dates of the tax year you are requesting.
- If you need a letter of non-filing for 2015, enter: 01/01/2015 - 12/31/2015.
- If you need a letter of non-filing for 2016, enter: 01/01/2016 - 12/31/2016.
- Check the box next to the "Signatory attests..." statement.
- Sign, date and enter your phone number.
- Fax the form to the IRS at: (855) 800-8105
- You should receive either a Tax Return Transcript or Verification of Non-Filing letter from the IRS via US mail within one week. If you do not receive the documentation, re-fax the request.
- Submit the IRS documentation to the Financial Aid office.
3) Did Not Work, Did Not File a Federal Income Tax Return
- On the verification form, in the appropriate column (student or parent), indicate "Did NOT work in 2016, was not required to and did not file a 2016 federal tax return".
- Verification of Non-Filing Letter (See instructions in number 2 above) for custodial parent(s) and independent students
- Each parent, student or spouse that did not file a tax return MUST sign the verification form.
If you do not fall into one of the three categories above, please contact out office at 231 591-2110 for further instruction.