ITS has begun efforts to apply a more structure approach to managing larger, more complex endeavors involving administrative applications, academic and instructional technology, infrastructure, information security, and networking. We work with the administration to prioritize our projects and do a better job of executing them.
Using a well defined project management workflow will provide a framework for IT Services to do a better job of:
- Communicating with customers, staff and upper administration,
- Reviewing of all aspects and cost of a given project,
- Setting realistic commitments on scope, schedules, costs and staffing,
- Prioritizing and/or ranking of projects,
- Completing projects on time and on budget.
We have worked to develop criteria for what a “project” is, developed an online project request form, and documented the approval flow. On the project web site you can learn more about IT projects, as well as see weekly reports on current, approved and recently completed projects.
Project Management is part of the Office of the CTO to ensure consistent project management techniques are used throughout all of ITS. Jim Cook is ITS's Project Manager.
If you have questions about whether something is a project or just a standard work order after viewing the info on the web site listed above start by contacting the TAC at 231-591-4822.