Ferris State University participates in the Michigan Association of Collegiate Registrars & Admissions Officers (MACRAO) Transfer Agreement.
What is the MACRAO Transfer Agreement?
The MACRAO Transfer Agreement is designed to facilitate transfer from community colleges to baccalaureate colleges and universities. It provides for transferability of up to 30 semester credits to meet many (and in some cases all) of the General Education Requirements at participating Michigan four-year colleges and universities. Students may complete the MACRAO Transfer Agreement as part of an associate degree or as a stand-alone package. Once the specified set of courses is completed, the courses will transfer and be applied toward meeting the general education requirements at the four-year college or university.
MACRAO Transfer Agreement Requirements
A minimum of 30 semester hours of coursework must be taken at one of Michigan’s participating community colleges. The courses needed to satisfy the MACRAO requirements are as follows:
- English Composition (6 credit hours)
- Science and Math (8 credit hours) Courses must be taken from a minimum of two subject areas. At least one science course must include a laboratory.
- Social Science (8 credit hours) Courses must be taken from a minimum of two subject areas.
- Humanities (8 credit hours) Courses must be taken from a minimum of two subject areas.
MACRAO Transcript Posting
When coursework requirements for meeting the MACRAO Transfer Agreement have been completed, the student may request that their transcript be posted "MACRAO Transfer Agreement Satisfied."
Important Steps for Students
Prior to enrolling in courses, it is HIGHLY recommended that students:
- Contact their community college for the institutional policy regarding the granting of credit toward the MACRAO Agreement.
- Check with their community college counselor/advisor AND an admissions representative from the four-year college to select courses to fulfill the MACRAO Agreement and to discuss provisos which need to be considered.
In 2012 the Michigan legislature included boilerplate language in the community college appropriations bill that focused on improving the transferability of core college courses by revising the current Michigan Association of Collegiate Registrars & Admissions Officers (MACRAO) agreement.
Students who started college prior to fall 2014 will be able to complete the existing MACRAO Agreement until the end of the Summer 2019. Irrespective of time, if a student has a “MACRAO Satisfied” endorsement previously placed on their transcript, Ferris will still honor it in the best interest of the student.
Information was retrieved from
www.macrao.org/Publications/MACRAOAgreement.asp on 5/18/14.