While in Scotland students will discover the literature and films and examine the cultural history, writing, language and social influences of Scotland and its people. Students will learn about the biology and chemistry of whiskey, beer, and cheese production. They will visit places such as the St. Andrews Lammas Medieval Market and the St. Andrews British Golf Museum. They will experience the cities of Edinburgh and St. Andrews and play golf at the Old Course at St. Andrews.
- BIOL 280: Applied Fermentation (3 credits)
- LITR 241: Introduction to World Short Fiction (3 credits)
- LITR 243: Literature and Film (3 credits)
Students may only take up to 6 credits with this program.
Estimated Cost of Study Abroad Experience:
- Program cost: $2,925 for general itinerary, $3,425 including golf itinerary. Includes lodging, insurance, some meals (lunch and dinner), museum fees, all group transportation, airport transfers.
- Airfare: $800 - $1,000. Costs may vary by traveler.
- Tuition: $392 per credit, undergraduate junior/senior rate.†
- Estimated Total Cost (with 3 credits): $5,100.00
- Estimated Total Cost (with 6 credits): $6,276.00
- Estimated Total Cost (with 3 credits) with Golf: $5,600.00
- Estimated Total Cost (with 6 credits) with Golf: $6,776.00
Not included in estimated cost:
- Personal expenses, some meals
Please contact faculty for detail of expenses related to this program.
Students will reside in hotels.
July 24: Depart Grand Rapids or Detroit.
July 25: Arrive Edinburgh, Scotland/St. Andrews, Scotland.
July 26: Edinburgh Castle, museums, sightseeing.
July 27: Arrival St. Andrews. Orientation. Course tutorials/seminars. Golf outing orientation.
July 28: St. Andrews University visitation. Tutorials/seminars.
July 29: St. Andrews British Golf Museum visitation. Tutorials/seminars. Golf outing. Brewery field trip.
July 30: Fishing village field trip.
July 31: St. Andrews Bell Pettigrew field trip. Tutorials/seminars. Golf outing.
August 1: St. Andrews museum visitation. Tutorials/seminars. Golf outing. Castle visit.
August 2: St. Andrews city exploration. Tutorials/seminars.
August 3: St. Andrews Lammas Medieval Market. Tutorials/seminars. Golf and beach outings.
August 4: Depart Edinburgh for USA.
Will vary based on final times for golf.