MyPLACE (My Program for Language and Culture Exchange) is a unique conversation partner program that matches international students enrolled in the West Michigan English Language Institute (WMELI) with FSU students who are native speakers of English for group conversation and project-based activities. MyPLACE provides mutual benefits for both the international students and the native speakers of English (also known as American Partners).
Applications for Spring 2017 closed on December 9th, 2016.
Application for Fall 2017 are due by August 15th, 2017.
MyPLACE Scholarship for Studying Abroad
Ferris students who participate in MyPLACE can earn scholarship funds for studying abroad. Students who are accepted into MyPLACE as American Partners can accrue up to $800 per semester (the amount varies based on performance and participation). The maximum amount of scholarship funds any one student can accrue is $2,400, which can be banked over several semesters.
You May Apply for the MyPLACE Scholarship Program if…
- You are a native speaker of English.
- You have completed at least one semester of full-time college coursework.
- You have maintained a GPA of 2.7 or higher.
- You can commit to 4 hours a week for MyPLACE group activities during the semester (the groups usually meet twice a week sometime between 3:00 PM and 7:00 PM).
- You are able to attend 6 Cultural Awareness sessions spread out throughout the semester (these are one-hour sessions conducted at 11:00 AM on Tuesdays).
- You have aspirations to gain leadership skills and an enthusiasm for learning about different cultures.
- You aspire to study abroad.
Awarding the MyPLACE Scholarship
Scholarship money accrued through participation in MyPLACE will be awarded to American Partners during the semester they study abroad. The award is disbursed in conjunction with the deadlines established by Financial Aid. Students wishing to apply their scholarship funds towards study abroad should do the following:
- Apply to a Ferris-approved Study Abroad Program and obtain the approval first.
- Submit an application for the scholarship award (forms are available in the OIE office).
- Confirm that you are a current Ferris student when applying for the scholarship.
Note: The MyPLACE Scholarship funds can only be applied to a Ferris approved study abroad program, and in rare cases, an international internship. Unused funds cannot be applied to any other purpose.
Mutual Benefits for American Partners and International Students
- American Partners gain exposure to students from different cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- They can build their resume for the globalized economy.
- They can prepare themselves for studying abroad.
- They can earn the MyPLACE Scholarship funds for studying abroad.
- The international students, on the other hand, get the necessary language practice with native speakers of English in a friendly non-academic setting.
- They gain exposure to American culture, an important component to learning any language.
- Both groups learn skills necessary for team-based success.
MyPLACE Scholarship Sponsor
The funds for the MyPLACE Scholarship are provided by WMELI. Hence, the number of scholarships awarded depends on the number of international students enrolled in the WMELI every semester. The scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis.
For more information contact:
Office of International Education
1301 S. State Street
Big Rapids, MI 49307