Professional activities and areas of interest
After 30 years in the Information Systems and business environment, Professor Furstenberg joins the Ferris ISI program as a full-time faculty member in the fall of 2014.
His wide industry experiences include multimillion-dollar retail corporations, small to medium enterprises, independent retail organizations, nonprofit, academic and medical. He has held many different positions at all levels in both large corporations and small organizations. Some of which include; Chief Information Officer, Chief Operating Officer, Infrastructure Analyst, Systems Administrator, IT Security Analyst and Cyber Security Consultant. Professor Furstenberg is actively involved in the State of Michigan’s Cyber Range initiative, serving on the executive council for the nation’s first militarily unclassified cyber warfare training and education infrastructure. In addition, Professor Furstenberg is an active member and serves as Team 2 Leader for the State of Michigan’s Cyber Civilian Corps (MiC3); a group of trained Cyber First Responder (CFR) experts who volunteer to provide professional incident response expertise and assistance to the State in times of cyber emergencies.
He is currently pursuing his Ph.D. in Cyber Security/Information Assurance from Nova Southeastern University. When he is not teaching, doing homework, studying or researching cyber security, Professor Furstenberg enjoys coaching youth soccer. He is a nationally licensed youth soccer coach, past State of Michigan Youth Coach of the Year and past Special Olympics Area 2 Coach of the Year.
His primary technical and research interests are Packet and Protocol Analysis, Network Forensics, Intrusion Analysis, Indicators of Compromise (IOC), Reverse Engineering Malware, Vulnerability Management, Risk Analysis, Artificial Intelligence and Insider Threats.
- Current Doctoral student, pursuing a PhD in Cyber Security/Information Assurance from Nova Southeastern University.
- MS, Information Security and Intelligence; Penetration Testing concentration—Ferris State University.
- BS, Information Security and Intelligence; Digital Forensics concentration—Ferris State University.
- GIAC Continuous Monitoring Certification (GMON)
- EC-Council Certified Instructor
- (ISC)² – Authorized Instructor
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
- GIAC Certified Incident Handler (GCIH)
- Certified Network Defender ( C|ND)
- Certified Penetration Testing Engineer (CPTE)
- Certified Lantern Forensic Examiner (CLFE)
- Certified Nexpose Administrator (CNA)
- Palo Alto Accredited Configuration Engineer (ACE)
- Certified Secure Computer User (C|SCU)