From the Begininng
A business curriculum was one of the first three academic programs offered at Ferris State University when it was founded in 1884 as Big Rapids Industrial School. The Commercial Course, as it was called, included coursework in arithmetic, bookkeeping, penmanship, business correspondence, and commercial law. Although the curriculum changed to reflect the times, the name associated with the business curriculum remained the same until a series of changes beginning in the 1950s. In 1988 the program became the College of Business.
The College of Business started its humble beginnings in the "business practice room" of the Old Main Building. Today, the College is located in the Business Building which opened for classes in 1970. Recent remodeling projects, along with audiovisual upgrades, and new computer equipment provide the building with contemporary classroom space and state-of-the-art learning environments.
For over 100 years, the College of Business has changed and modified its curriculum to meet the needs of business and industry. The College has always prided itself on having a diverse student body. Today, whether on campus, on-line, or at one of our academic centers across Michigan, the College offers over forty certificate, associate, bachelor's and master's degree programs to a variety of traditional and nontraditional students at times and locations that are convenient to them.
Everyone associated with the College of Business can take pride in the excellence that has been achieved since its early beginnings. With more than 80 full time faculty, an administrative staff, and a student body numbering in the thousands, the College continues to provide high-quality, cutting-edge programs and educational opportunities for today's business students.