The purpose of this document is to:
The Health Center and Division of Student Affairs will address and systematically process student complaints that it receives in a timely manner.
In addition, the Code of Student Community Standards states that each Ferris State University student has the right to initiate a complaint that may bring about an investigation and/or disciplinary action involving another member of the University academic community.
If a student has a complaint, the recommended general strategy is for that student to first contact the Health Center with the issue at hand, unless there are good reasons for not doing so, such as a desire to maintain anonymity with the Department.
The University Directory and the Health Center website are two means to contact the office to make a complaint. Another is to contact:
Renee Vander Myde, MA, LLP, Interim Director - Phone (231) 591-2697
Birkam Health Center
If, for any reason, a student does not want to personally or directly contact a staff member to discuss a complaint, they may contact the person in the next highest level of authority, which would commonly be the supervisor (director, dean, associate vice president, or vice president). The student can request an appointment to meet with the director/dean/associate vice president/vice president and/or send a signed written description of the issue or problem and request that their identity be kept confidential. That request will be honored unless there are over-riding reasons to do otherwise.
All student concerns are taken seriously at the Health Center and the overall Division of Student Affairs. Students are encouraged to attempt to resolve non Health Center complaints by visiting or calling the following areas to directly resolve their concern with the appropriate staff members. Health Center staff are usually able to refer students to appropriate offices.
Issues related to academic transcripts, transfer credits:
Contact Admissions and Records at (231) 591-2100 located on the second floor of the Timme Center for Student Services.
Issues regarding Rankin Student Center room reservations and event hosting:
Contact the Rankin Student Center at (231) 591-2679
Issues related to University Recreation:
Contact the Student Recreation Center at (231) 591-2679.
Issues related to school closures for severe weather or other emergencies:
Contact the FSU Communications Center (ext. 2100), visit the Ferris homepage, or the MyFSU webpage.
Issues about on-campus housing (residence halls/apartments):
- Generally, if a student has a complaint they should bring it to the attention of their Residence Adviser (RA) in the Residence Halls or Community Adviser (CA) if they live in one of the campus apartments.
- If there is a concern about the Hall Director, students can speak with the Assistant Director of Housing.
- Students may also speak with the Director of Housing.
The main Housing number is (231) 591-3745 and specific numbers for each Residence Hall (to contact the appropriate Hall Director) are listed under "Residence Halls" in the University Directory. Contact the Housing Office for campus apartment concerns.
Process for Summarizing the Number, Type and Resolution of Student Complaints
- Each Director within the Division of Student Affairs uses an Excel spreadsheet to record the number, type and resolution of student complaints they receive. An example of this spreadsheet is provided below.
- Twice per year, all complaints are sent to the Executive Secretary to the Vice President of Student Affairs who aggregates the data into a master document.
- This data is then studied to see if patterns emerge which reveal a need for improvements in our programs, activities or services.
- The Division of Student Affairs Student Complaint Report