Changes to Your Academic Records

Change Your Name

To request a name change, you are required to supply legal documentation (i.e. copy of marriage license, adoption papers, court papers) for a legal name change. If you are applying for financial aid, a copy of your new social security card reflecting the new name will also be required. This documentation should be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records in Big Rapids with a signed letter or signed name change request form.

You may submit the request in person at the Timme Student Service Center on the main campus, or fax to (231) 591-3944, or by mail to the Office of Admissions and Records, 1201 S. State St., CSS-201, Big Rapids, MI 49307.

No documentation is required for spelling errors if the correct spelling can be verified with information in your student file.

Change Your Address and Phone Number

Keeping your address and phone number current is important. The University needs to be notified when changes occur to your local and permanent contact information. A hold may be placed on your file, if we are unable to contact you due to outdated information.

The steps for changing this information online are as follows.

  • Log in to MyFSU
  • Choose the Academic Services Tab
  • Look in the Student Records Channel
  • Choose Verify/Update Address/Phone/Emergency Contacts
  • Edit and submit the changes

Alternately, you may send an email using your student email account to and they will make the changes. Please include your name, phone number, and student number in the email.

Change Your Major

If you applied to the wrong program and were admitted, or need to change from "undeclared" to a major program, you will need to meet with your academic advisor. Your advisor will make sure you are on the most direct path to your career goals. Also, they will make sure you meet the program admission requirements. If you're unsure what those are, see your advisor.