This project allows for artists to create a large, innovative site specific sculpture
for a thriving university campus. Ferris State University is home of nearly 10,000
students and 1,200 employees.
Type of artwork:
A site specific sculpture.
$8,000 - To include artist fees, expenses for materials, fabrication, shipment to
site and installation.
- 5 slides of recent work. Slides must be in a clear plastic slide sheet; each slide
must be labeled with the artist's name, it must indicate the top of the image, and
must be numbered to correspond with the slide annotation script. No bulky materials
or original works of art should be submitted.
- An annotated slide script.
- A current resume abbreviated to no more than three pages.
- A self-addressed, stamped envelope for the return of the materials.
- A written description of the proposed sculpture.
The advisory committee will review all artists submissions and select up to three
finalists. Those finalists will then be requested to submit a detailed drawing of
their proposed sculpture. (This project emphasizes site specific artwork and will
not usually purchase existing work).
The panel selects artists based on past work, as indicated by the artists' slides
and other supportive materials. The panel uses the following criteria for selection:
- High artistic quality, originality, and technical innovation of the artist's recent
- Suitability of the artist's imagery, technique, materials, and scale for site.
- Artist's ability to work with the site-sculpture committee and other university personnel
to complete the art project within the contract period and budget.
- Durability of design and materials, liability and safety issues, minimal maintenance
requirements and maximum resistance to vandalism.
This competition is open to all Michigan residents. Proof of residency is required.
- 5 properly labeled slides of recent work by each artist
- An annotated slide script
- A SASE for the return of the materials
- All materials must fit in an 8.5" x 11" file folder
c/o Ferris State University
Creative Arts Center
1408 Bond Circle
Big Rapids, MI 49307-2758p