Ferris State University is connecting students with the campus community through SocialFest 2013, a series of Instagram photo-taking, YouTube video-making, #ProFresh Tweeting and All Things Social Media events.
The month-long festival, hosted by the university’s Social Media Team, features free events designed to engage new and returning students through social media platforms, said team co-chair Sandy Gholston, News Services and Social Media manager.
“SocialFest is an opportunity for students to connect with the university in fun ways, to introduce them to some of the resources and services available, and to learn how social media platforms can be used to benefit their future,” Gholston said. “Social media is becoming a bigger part of our everyday lives. Events like SocialFest show that social media can be fun, but that it also is an increasingly fundamental and important way we communicate and present ourselves.”
Students arriving for the fall semester that begins Monday, Aug. 26 can hit the ground running and enter the “I’m A Bulldog” YouTube Video Contest. Registered Student Organizations and individuals are being encouraged to create a one- to-two-minute video that shows off their school spirit for a chance to win one of three $200 cash cards. Deadline to enter is 11:45 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 24.
Contest entries will be shown during a Thursday, Sept. 26 screening event at the Michigan College of Optometry Auditorium.
SocialFest also includes a pair of Instagram contests, a live Twitter chat and a 5-Star presentation by Michael Ayalon titled “Networking 101.” Several Ferris offices and Registered Student Organizations have teamed up with the Social Media Team to present the events.
Here is a schedule:
Instagram Scavenger Hunt
- When: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday, Aug. 26
- What: Students will visit 10 locations on campus, snap a picture and share it on Instagram using the #FerrisSocial hashtag and tagging @ferrisstateu. Participants who collect 10 photos will receive a SocialFest T-shirt, and each location also will have a treat.
*Co-sponsored by the Sorority Women of Panhellenic
Bulldog Football Instagram Contest
- When: 5-10:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 14
- What: Students can celebrate the football team’s home-opener at Top Taggart Field against
Lake Erie College by sharing pictures on Instagram that display Bulldog pride (#FerrisSocial,
@ferrisstateu). Tailgating gets under way at 5 p.m., and the game starts at 7. Prizes
will be awarded for the top three photos, which will be determined by “likes.” Voting
will close at 5 p.m. Monday.
*Co-sponsored by the Ferris State University Athletics Department
#ProFresh Twitter Chat
- When: 7-8 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19
- What: Students can participate in a live Twitter chat on a cool topic, and get refreshments and door prizes if they stop by Interdisciplinary Resource Center 107. Students also can participate from the comfort of their own home by using the #ProFresh hashtag.
*Hosted by the Center for Leadership, Activities and Career Services
“Networking 101” with Michael Ayalon
- When: 7 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 24
- What: The 5-Star event in Williams Auditorium will feature a presentation by Ayalon, a successful business owner and seasoned executive who is executive director of Sigma Pi Fraternity International. His presentation is designed to give participants a thorough understanding of the network relationship-building process and how to maintain those relationships to get a job or to move up the corporate ladder.
*Hosted by the brothers of Sigma Pi
“I’m a Bulldog” YouTube Video Contest Screening
- When: 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 26
- What: Contest entries will be shown in the Michigan College of Optometry Auditorium. Three winners each will receive a $200 cash card prize, and the top three videos. Winners will be selected by a student panel.