BIG RAPIDS – The Ferris Foundation of Ferris State University awarded eight Exceptional Merit Grant Awards to faculty and staff for 2007 totaling more than $48,000. Those proposals receiving funding include
- Sandra Burns/Kathleen Harlan, College of Allied Health Sciences, for Dental Hygiene students providing oral health programs within the surrounding communities
- Nancy Wiseman, Michigan College of Optometry, for the laboratory where Student Volunteers in Optometric Services to Humanity students can cut and assemble glasses to be used in missionary trips
- Brian Pacholka, College of Technology, for expansion of the Plastics curriculum to include precision extrusion for the manufacturing of medical-grade tubing
- James Hoerter, College of Arts and Sciences, for laboratory research for students to investigate whether sequential exposure to sunlight and tanning bed radiation increases protein oxidation in human melanocytes
- Doug Zentz, College of Technology, for planning and hosting an energy conference with cross-program benefits for students and University energy initiatives
- Susan Wancour, College of Allied Health Sciences, for digital dental radiography equipment for teaching students digital dental imaging techniques
- William Bitzinger, University Advancement and Marketing, for a server-based digital
archive to preserve the visual history of the University Cecil Queen, College of Education
and Human Services, for a safe facility/structure to be used for the development of
stress resistance during simulated combative situations using marking projectiles.
The Exceptional Merit Grants Program was established by the Ferris Foundation to promote excellence in faculty and staff at the university. Funding for the grants is provided by the annual Ferris Foundation for Excellence benefit, which also funds the Foundation for Excellence Scholarship Endowment.
"The Ferris Foundation is pleased to provide Exceptional Merit Grant Awards to faculty and staff who continue to advance the mission of the University through innovative and collaborative projects," Foundation Executive Director Richard Duffett said.
For more information or to make a gift to Ferris State University, please contact The Ferris Foundation at (231) 591-2365 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Details about establishing scholarships or endowments may be obtained from the Advancement Office at (231) 591-3825.