There are three important reasons you should make sure your computer has the latest Windows updates:
Fortunately, updating is easy.
Using Windows Automatic Updates
FSU-issued desktops are preconfigured with Automatic Updates enabled, which means that each computer regularly talks to the Automatic Windows Update server at Microsoft. The server tells the computer what updates are available, and determines what are needed by your machine. Should any updates be needed it will automatically download them and notify you that your computer is ready to perform the update.
Note: People with computers not issued by FSU can manually download and install the updates using the bellow procedure “Manually updating Windows”.
When automatic updates are ready to be installed, you will see a message box pop up from the world icon in the system tray:
This popup message indicated the automatic updates have already been downloaded to your computer and are ready to be installed. The following procedure will walk you through on installing the automatic updates:
1. Click on the message box or the world icon, which is located in the system tray next to the clock.
2. Click Install.
3. Now sit back and wait while the updates are being installed. Generally, you have to wait a few minutes before the status bar shows any progress.
4. Once the updates have been successfully installed, you may have to restart your computer for the changes to take effect. This is necessary and you should perform this final step even if your computer does not prompt you to restart.
Manually updating Windows
1. Open Internet Explorer and select Tools located at the very top then Windows Update. This will redirect Internet Explorer to the windows update page.
2. Select Express Install (Recommended). Selecting this option will perform a system scan and select only the necessary updates your computer needs.
3. After selecting Express Install windows update will then begin to scan your computer for updates that need to be installed.
4. Windows update will then display a list of updates that need to be installed on your computer for performance or security reasons. Next, click Install in order for the new updates to be installed.
5. Another window will popup indicating the status of the updates that are being downloaded and installed.
6. After the windows update has completed downloading all the necessary updates, another window could popup asking you if you agree to the license agreement. Should this window come up simply select Yes.
7. After the updates have been successfully installed the windows update indicator will display You have successfully updated your computer. Simply select Close, which is located in the lower right hand corner of the window and this, will complete the update process.
After performing any type of update on your computer, it is generally good practice to restart your computer even if not prompted to. This final step just ensures all updates are installed properly.
last modified 05/26/2009
|Chat With a Specialist|
|Online Support Form|