About the Notification Dashboard
The Notifications Dashboard contains four basic modules that give information to users
based on their enrollment and their role in the system. Which modules are available
and what type of notifications are delivered is set up by the system administrator.
Users with multiple enrollments will receive information in modules for all their
classes and organizations. Users with multiple roles will receive information in modules
for all their roles. Users can navigate to individual items to take action.
Instructors can customize the notifications that appear on this page, as well as opt
to have email notifications sent to their account.
The page displays these modules:
- Needs Attention - Displays all items in a course that require some type of interaction. Instructors,
TAs, and Graders see assignments, tests, and surveys that have been submitted.
- Alerts - Displays past due and early warning notifications for all courses. Instructors,
TAs, and Graders see the users in each course that have past due items and who have
generated early warning messages. Links are provided to email students and view early
warning system rules. Students see any assignments, tests, or other items that are
past due and any early warning messages received.
- What's New - Displays a list of new items in all relevant courses and organizations. Instructors,
TAs, and Graders see any new assignments that have been submitted, tests that have
been submitted, new discussion board posts. Students see new discussion board posts,
new grades posted, new content that is available.
- To Do - Displays the status (Past Due/Due) of relevant course work and tasks. Students
see any grade items that have listed due dates in two categories, what is past due
and what is due in the future. Links to relevant course items are provided.
Where to find the Notification Dashboard
The Notification Dashboard can be found by clicking on My Blackboard,
and then clicking on the Notifications Dashboard link, as pictured below.
Once in the Notifications Dashboard you should see a screen similar to that below.
Instructors can access their student's assessments directly from within the Notifications
- From the Notifications Dashboard click Actions and select Expand All
- Click on the student's dropdown for their submitted assessment and you will have the
option of Grade, Email, or Dismiss. When the instructor selects Grade, they will
be taken to view the submission just like from the Grade Center or Needs Grading area.
Instructors can be notified via E-mail when students have submitted assignments or
- From the Notifications Dashboard, select Edit Notification Settings and then Edit
- The instructor has the option of obtaining a notification once per day, at 7:00 AM,
of all submissions from the past day by utilizing the E-mail Digest; or getting individual
messages for each submission.
Instructors can customize the courses they would like various notifications from
- From the Edit Notification Settings screen select Courses I am Teaching from the Bulk
Edit Notifications Settings.
- Instructors can customize multiple courses at once by first clicking Selected. Selecting
the courses they would like and moving them with the arrow buttons in the middle to
the right side.
- The E-mail address in which the information will be sent is listed under section 2.
- Once the courses have been selected there is a long list of notification options.
If the instructor would like to receive e-mails when assignments are submitted they
would click the e-mail checkbox to the right of Assignment Submitted.