FerrisConnect > Known Issues > Overwrite File
The Overwrite Files option, both in the Content System and located in courses for
such items as an Assignment, is not removing the original file when versioning is
not enabled. It has been found that even when versioning has been enabled on a file,
that it still does not work as intended.
After the new file has been uploaded, the name of the link does not change to match
the new file name. Sometimes clicking on the link allows you to view the new file
just uploaded, while other times you will still see the original file.
After uploading the new file, the link for the file should change to reflect the name
of the new file that was uploaded. When clicking on the link you should also be able
to view the contents of the new file that was uploaded.
Blackboard datasheet about this known issue
Workaround - In Content System
- While in the Content System, click the chevron next to the file name that you want
to replace and select Recycle.
- Mouse over the Upload button from the top navigation menu and select Upload Files.
- In Section 1, select the Browse button and navigate to the location in which the new
file you want uploaded exists.
- Click Submit.
- To free up space, go into the Recycle Bin folder, and find the original file that
you Recycled in Step 1 above. Click the chevron next to the file and select Delete.
Workaround - With Assignment
- Locate an Assignment that already has an attached file associated with it, as shown
in Figure 1 below.
- Click the chevron next to the Assignment title, and select Edit.
- Scroll down to Section 2 - Assignment Files, and click the "Mark for removal" link
on the far right side, as seen in Figure 2.
- You will notice that the "Mark for removal" link changes to "Unmark for removal".
- Scroll to the top or bottom of the page and click Submit.
- Notice that the Assignment no longer has an attached file associated with it anymore.
- Click the chevron next to the Assignment title once again, and select Edit.
- Scroll down to Section 2 - Assignment Files, and either click the Browse My Computer
or Browse Content Collection buttons, and navigate to the new file you want attached
to this Assignment.
- Scroll to the top or bottom of the page and click the Submit button.
- Note the new attached file associated with the Assignment.