Tips and Information for Graduates and Guests
December 2013 Ceremonies
Prior to Commencement:
- Read over the information sent to you by your college's commencement coordinator. You should receive the information packet from your college.
- Attend the Graduation Fair on Thursday, November 7, 2013 to purchase your cap and gown, pick up your allotted
number of tickets, order a class ring, order graduation announcements, and win prizes, in
the Student Recreation Center. If you are unable to attend the Graduation Fair you
may purchase your cap and gown any time between November 7 and December 6, 2013 at
the Ferris State University Bookstore. Tickets may be picked up from your college's commencement coordinator.
- If you are eligible to receive an honor cord pick-up or purchase your honor cord.
Follow this link to view more information about where to get your honor cord and honor requirements. If you have any questions about your eligibility to receive an honor cord for Commencement,
please contact your college's Commencement Coordinator.
- After you have purchased your cap and gown, open up the package to make sure that
you have everything you need. You should have a tassel, a cap and a gown. If you are receiving a master or doctorate degree you should have a gown and a hood.
If you have the incorrect regalia, please contact or visit the Ferris State University Bookstore to get the correct regalia.
- Hang your gown up and iron it if needed.
- Exit Interviews - If you have a loan, you will need to go through Loan Exit Counseling before you graduate.
- Graduating students who require special accommodations should contact the Commencement office by calling 231.591.3803 to make necessary arrangements.
- Guests who require special accommodations - Wink Arena is handicap accessible and has several areas available that will accommodate
wheelchairs, guest who are unable to climb bleachers, and strollers on the main level.
Ushers will be stationed in Wink Arena to assist if you should need help. If you
or a family member requires special accommodations, other than mentioned above, please
contact the Commencement office by calling 231.591.3803, at least two weeks prior
to the event.
- Instructions for Graduates - you should receive a copy of the Instructions for Graduates when you pick up your
tickets from your college's Commencement Coordinator.
- Visit Career Services to have your resume critiqued. Career Services is located in the Terrace Level in Helen Ferris Hall.
- If you have an interview set up and can't afford a suit, visit The First Lady's Attic, located in the Helen Ferris Hall, Room 125. The First Lady's Closet has men's and
women's professional clothing and accessories available for students. Just show your
student I.D. and walk out with a suit and accessories to go with it.
Before you Leave Home:
- Make sure that you have your cap, gown, tassel and hood (if applicable). All graduates
must wear the appropriate regalia in order to walk in a Commencement ceremony.
- Students planning on participating in a ceremony should plan to arrive 45 minutes
prior to the start of their ceremony. The ceremony will start promptly, so don't be
- Allow extra time for parking. Handicapped parking is available directly west of the
Ewigleben Sports Complex in Lot 48. Wink Arena is handicap accessible and has several
areas available that will accommodate wheelchairs, guests who may not be able to climb
the bleachers and strollers on the main level. Seating is on a first-come, first-serve
basis. Ushers will be available to assist with seating.
- Make sure you give the tickets to your guests. Guests will not be allowed into the
ceremony without a ticket.
- Check-in with your college's Commencement Coordinator located in the Ice Arena. You
will receive your name and photo card at that time.
- Leave valuables, such as purses and coats, with family members during the ceremony.
Please DO NOT leave items unattended. Commencement staff will not be available to
watch items left in the Ice Arena.