Identifying a Qualified Professional
For assistance in finding a qualified professional:
- Contact Educational Counseling and Disabilities Services to discuss documentation
- Discuss your future plans with our counselors.
- If additional documentation is required, seek assistance in identifying a qualified
In selecting a qualified professional:
- Ask what his or her credentials are.
- Ask what experience he or she has had working with adults with learning disabilities.
- Ask if he or she has ever worked with the service provider at your institution or
with the agency to which you are sending material.
In working with the professional:
- Take a copy of these guidelines to the professional.
- Encourage him or her to clarify questions with the person who provided you with these
- Be prepared to be forthcoming, thorough and honest with requested information.
- Know that professionals must maintain confidentiality with respect to your records
and testing information.
As follow-up to the assessment by the professional:
- Request a written copy of the assessment report.
- Request the opportunity to discuss the results and recommendations.
- Request additional resources if you need them.
- Maintain a personal file of your records and reports.