Heavy Equipment student, Mitchell Vasicek, took 14th in the United States, at the 2016 TMC Super Tech National Competition in North Carolina. Over 170 technicians competed, and participants came from the United States, Mexico and Canada.
The College held its annual student welcome picnic on September 13th with over 750 students, faculty, and staff in attendance.
ASHRAE Scholarships Provide Financial Assistance for 33 students
The students are accepting $164,000 worth of financial assistance for the 2016-17 school year. Over the course of 28 years ASHRAE has awarded more than $1.78 million to over 360 deserving undergraduate students.
Engineering Technology Scholarships: Franciso Iniguez, HVAC engineering technology and energy management, and Justin Dean, HVAC&R technology, both from Ferris State University; and Seth Helliker, construction management, Pittsburg State University, received one of these very prestigious scholarships. More information can be found at www.ashrae.org/news.
2016 SkillsUSA HVACR Winners Announced - More than 1100 career and technical students from nearly 78 trade, technical, and leadership fields participated in the 2016 SkillsUSA State Leadership and Skills Competition April 09-10 in Grand Rapids, MI.
For the third consecutive year, Ferris State University Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVACR) program hosted the competition at the Granger Center for Construction and HVACR Big Rapids, Mi.
SkillsUSA announced the following winners representing Ferris State University HVACR as follows:
- First- Gold; post-secondary Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration contest, Ryan Gallagher (New Kensington, Pa.), Ferris State University
- High school students from Career Technical Center's across the state placed as follows in the HVACR category:
- First- Gold; secondary Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration contest, Ahron Keizer (Allendale, Mi.), Kent Career Technical Center
- Second- Silver; secondary Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration contest, Evan Herschleb (Grand Rapids, Mi.), Kent Career Technical Center
- Third- Bronze; secondary Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration contest, McCoy Des Jardins (Lapeer, Mi.), Lapeer Career technical Center
The SkillsUSA Competition is the showcase event for the best career and technical students in the nation. Contests begin locally and continue through the regional, state and national level. The philosophy of the championships is to reward students for excellence; to involve industry in directly evaluating student performance and to keep training relevant to employers' needs.