Requirements for a Teacher Education Degree & Certification
Admission to the Program
High school students and transfer students with 29 credit hours or less must possess a high school grade point average of 2.25 (on a 4.0 scale) or an ACT composite score of 15. Transfer students with 30 credit hours or more must possess a 2.0 cumulative GPA.
Students transferring in with completed majors or minors must have the appropriate GPA as established by each department. Consult individual program description for other admission requirements.
Students seeking admission to teacher education programs must read Certification Rule 980_2011-018ED which states that certification may be denied if a person has been convicted, as an adult, of an act of immoral conduct contributing to the delinquency of a child, or of a misdemeanor or felony involving moral turpitude.
- Certification candidates must have passed the Michigan Professional Readiness Exam (formerly Basic Skills Test).
- Certification candidates must graduate with a bachelor's degree from one of Ferris' approved teacher education programs or have a bachelor's degree and complete an approved certification only program with a 2.50 minimum GPA to receive teacher certification in the state of Michigan.
- Certification candidates must apply for teacher certification through the School of Education.
- Certification candidates must pass the state-mandated subject area exam in their major and minor.
- Students seeking certification must again read Certification Rule 980_2011-018ED. and sign a statement that they understand they may be denied certification if they have been convicted, as an adult, of an act of immoral conduct contributing to the delinquency of a child, or of a misdemeanor or felony involving moral turpitude.
State of Michigan Resources
- Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC)
Information, Test Dates, Study Guide and Order Form
- License/Certification Application Forms
Certificate Renewals, Out-Of-State Application, Teacher Permits
- Certification Law/Rule/Policy
- Preparation Programs-Standards/Approval Process
Teacher Certification Officer
Telephone: (231) 591-3642
Fax: (231) 591-2043
Mailing Address :
Attn: Michelle Kelenske
College of Education & Human Services
Ferris State University
1349 Cramer Circle, BIS 416A
Big Rapids, MI 49307