The BSPH program is open to enrollment in the professional sequence once all admission criteria are met, including the completion of the required pre-requisite courses. This means that this program does not have a competitive, limited admission process as some other programs in CHP do.
Students are admitted directly as Public Health students during the time that they are working toward the completion of pre-requisite course requirements. Students will be assigned an academic advisor who is a faculty member in the public health program. This advisor will provide guidance to assist the student in the process of preparing for the professional sequence of the BSPH program, creating a plan for program progression.
Once the student has successfully completed all of the required pre-requisite courses, the advisor will guide the student to begin the professional sequence of the Public Health Program (PUBH) and the student may begin taking the BSPH courses (PUBH prefix) at the 300 level and higher (see note below).
Academic Requirements for BSPH:
Grade Point Average:
- Traditional Track: Minimum GPA of 2.7 on a 4.00 scale
- Accelerated Track: Minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.00 scale
Math Requirement (pre-requisite to CHEM 121):
- MATH 115 Intermediate Algebra (Grade of C or higher) or
- ACT math sub-score of 24
Completion of All Pre-professional Courses (Grades of “C” or higher for all):
- BIOL 121 General Biology 1
- BIOL 122 General Biology 2
- CHEM 121 General Chemistry 1
- CHEM 122 General Chemistry 2
- MRIS 103 Medical Terminology
- COHP 101 The U.S. Health Care System
- COHP 102 Safety Issues in Health Care
- ENGL 150 English 1
- COMM 105 or 121 or 221
Note: Students may also take the following introductory Public Health courses prior to while completing other pre-requisite courses for the program if desired:
- PUBH 200 Introduction to Public Health and
- PUBH 210 Global Health & Public Health