Dental Hygiene Program Admission and Progression Policy
For admission to the Professional Dental Hygiene Sequence: Students should officially
apply to the professional sequence between January 15th and 30th if they will have
their qualifications completed by the end of that semester (Spring) for consideration
for the following Fall semester start.
PREREQUISITE COURSES AND REQUIREMENTS
- MATH 110, equivalency or proficiency (Math ACT subscore of 19 or higher), BIOL 108,
BIOL 205, CCHS 102, CHEM 114, COMM 105 or 221, ENGL 150, MRIS 102, PSYC 150, SOCY
121 and a cultural enrichment elective must be completed with a C or higher to be
eligible for admission to the program.
- Applicants will be considered ineligible for the program with two unsuccessful (less than a letter grade of “C”) attempts in any required course.
- A student must maintain a college GPA of 2.5.
- Group Advising will be offered Fall and Spring Semesters. Notices will be posted on
campus for the dates and times for group advising. It is the student’s responsibility
to attend a group advising session each semester. Updates regarding the program will
be announced during these meeting times so it is crucial that the student attend.
- CCHS 101, CCHS 103 and ENGL 250 may be taken prior to entering the professional sequence.
If these course are not taken prior to starting the professional sequence, the courses
must be taken during the semester listed on the Dental Hygiene Program checksheet.
- Admission to the program is determined by program qualification date (semester prerequisites
are completed) and priority date (application date to the University or program change
declaring Dental Hygiene as major).
- A letter grade of “C” or higher is required for all Dental Hygiene Program requirements including core and general education courses.
- Any student that receives less than a “C” in one course must stop the dental hygiene program sequence. They must re-apply to the program to repeat the course the next time it is offered (if a seat is available).
- A student receiving a grade of less than a “C” in any two courses (or two unsuccessful attempts in the same course) will be dismissed from
- If at any time a student’s college GPA falls below a 2.5 they will be dismissed from
the Dental Hygiene program.
Ø If a student is dismissed from the program, they may not return to dental hygiene
program for a minimum of 5 years.
Ø Any student with a conviction record is advised to contact the Michigan Department
of Community Health’s Bureau of Health Professions and Health Systems at www.michigan.gov/mdch in regards to his/her ability to be eligible for licensure upon completion of the
Ø Information in regard to status is mailed to last address provided. It is the student’s
responsibility to maintain current contact information with the college. Contact the
Timme Center for Student Services to update your records.