This fully online baccalaureate program in dental hygiene is designed for students
who are completing their associate degree in dental hygiene and licensed dental hygienists
who want to earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Dental Hygiene in a student-centered
learning environment. Students will engage in self-directed learning activities, advance
their knowledge in the areas of critical thinking, exhibit values for lifelong learning,
synthesize evidence based information and develop leadership skills.
Advancing the Profession
Increasing access to oral health care, new systems of oral health care delivery, changing
oral disease patterns, an aging population and a more advanced health conscious public
have changed the nature and the future of dental hygiene practice.
This degree program will guide students in developing the knowledge, skills, attitudes
and values necessary for positions of responsibility in a variety of healthcare, educational,
research and community settings.
- The program will provide students with knowledge to develop skills in critical thinking
and evidenced based research while fostering lifelong learning.
- The program will support the American Dental Hygienists' Association initiative of
advancing the profession by providing leadership opportunities and advanced educational
- The program will advance student knowledge toward varied career opportunities in dental
hygiene through a diverse curriculum.
- The program will prepare students to support research activities impacting oral and
systemic health leading to the discovery of new knowledge of contemporary dental hygiene
theory and practice.
- The program will prepare students to address the challenges of advancing the dental
hygiene profession and access to dental care.
Building upon the dental hygiene competencies of ethics / values / skills, health
promotion, community, patient / client care and professional growth and development,
students who complete the Bachelor of Science degree in dental hygiene will be able
- Analyze research for evidence-based practice and theory as applied to the Dental Hygiene
- Demonstrate critical thinking and lifelong learning through collaborative partnerships
which promote the advancement of the Dental Hygiene profession.
- Assist and participate in the coordination of oral health care services for diverse
populations throughout all levels of the lifespan.
- Actively engage in leadership roles found in education, government, public health,
management and the associations which support the advancement of the Dental Hygiene
- Utilize evidence based practice and theory when engaged in activities toward the advancement
of the Dental Hygiene Profession.