IRS DATA RETRIEVAL QUICKSTEPS
Who is NOT eligible to use IRS Data retrieval:
- If you filed your taxes electronically, less than 1-2 weeks ago.
- If you filed your taxes via U.S. Mail less than 6-8 weeks ago.
- If you owe money or had to pay money to the IRS.
- Individuals whose tax filing status is “Married Filing Separately”.
- Parents who are married but filed as “Head of Household”.
- Individuals who filed an amended tax return.
- Individuals who filed a foreign or Puerto Rican tax return.
Log into your FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov.
- Click on “Make FAFSA Corrections” near the bottom of the screen.
- Enter your FSA ID and password. Click Next.
- Click on the Financial Information tab across the top menu bar.
- Select “Already Completed” in the drop down menu next to the question about whether
your parents have completed their 2014 IRS tax return. A series of questions will
- If you select “None of the above” to the questions, you will be presented with an
option to indicate which parent will be accessing the IRS database (mother/stepmother
of father/stepfather). Indicate the parent that signed your original FAFSA with a
PIN. Enter that parent’s PIN. Click on the blue LINK TO IRS button.
- You will receive a notification that you are leaving FAFSA. Click OK on that page.
- Once you are on the IRS website, you must fill in all requested information. Some
information may be pre-populated on this screen. Be careful to enter the data EXACTLY
as it appears on the copy of your tax return. Example, the first and last name of
the taxpayer may populate. If there is a middle initial on the tax return, that initial
must be included or data retrieval will not work. This program is also case-sensitive.
Pay attention to abbreviations, apartment numbers, etc. Be sure to duplicate the data
on the tax return as closely as possible when entering the information. Click on SUBMIT.
- If the IRS is able to validate your information and your IRS tax information will
- Click the checkbox on the left side of the page under “Transfer My Tax Information
into the FAFSA” then click on “Transfer Now” on the right side of the page.
- You will see another warning message that you are leaving the IRS site and returning
to FAFSA. Click OK.
- When you scroll to the bottom of the parent tax information page, you should see “Transferred
from the IRS” next to many of the financial information questions. DO NOT ALTER ANY
OF THE DATA TRANSFERRED FROM THE IRS, AS THIS WILL VOID THE DATA RETRIEVAL PROCESS.
Click Next at the bottom of the page.
- Next you will be presented with the Student Tax Information section. If you filed
a tax return, select “Already Completed” in the drop-down menu. Repeat steps 6-11.
- You must then continue to the Sign and Submit page to sign and submit your corrections.
- It will take 3-7 days for the Financial Aid Office to receive your data retrieval
- Do not forget to submit a completed verification form to the Financial Aid Office
to complete the verification process.