Special Consideration Information
If you or your family has experienced a significant change in your financial situation, the Financial Aid Office, under limited circumstances, may be able to re-evaluate your eligibility for financial aid for the school year. This re-evaluation will be based upon the information you provide with the Special Consideration Request form.
In some instances, a student or family can demonstrate a financial loss from one year to the next, however, the financial loss may not be significant enough to gain more financial aid eligibility. It is important for you to know that not all changes in circumstances will result in an adjustment and increase a student's financial aid award.
- Students who are requesting Special Consideration must first complete the FAFSA for the appropriate aid year. If you have not already done so, please click here to file a FAFSA.
- Prior to the evaluation of your request for Special Consideration your FAFSA must be verified by our office. Instructions for completing the verification process are included with the Special Consideration Request forms at the bottom of this page. If you have already completed the verification process for the academic year under consideration, you may omit this step. If information that you previously reported on your FAFSA was not accurate, verification may result in the loss of some aid that has already been awarded and/or paid to the student, which may not be reinstated if your request for special consideration is not approved.
Circumstances that will be considered:
- Reduced wages due to job loss or layoff, decreased work hours for at least 6 weeks;
- Receipt of Unemployment Benefits in lieu of wages or expiration of unemployment benefits;
- Inflated Adjusted Gross Income on tax return due to a pension withdrawal or rollover that was used to pay off debt.
- High out of pocket medical, dental, vision or prescription expenses that you have paid;
- Loss or reduction in child support or spousal support payments;
- Marital divorce or separation;
- Death of a parent or spouse;
- Other similar financial changes as appropriate.
Review and Notification:
Please note that we will begin accepting Special Consideration Requests for 2017-2018 on February 1, 2017. If you know that you will be submitting a Special Consideration Request for 2017-2018, you are encouraged to complete the verification part of the process as soon as possible.
Notification of decision will be sent via email.
NOTE: Please allow 2-3 weeks from completion of verification and submission of all requested documentation for response.