Federal Parent PLUS Loan
The Federal Parent PLUS Loan is an alternative loan option for parents of dependent
students. The parent or stepparent of a dependent student may apply for this loan. A
valid student FAFSA is required to process a Parent PLUS Loan. If student is selected for verification, that process must be completed as well. The parent borrower will be evaluated for
credit-worthiness, however the credit review process is generally more lenient than
private lender alternative loans. If approved, Parent PLUS Loans have a fixed 7.21%
Federal Parent PLUS Loan:
- Lender is the U.S. Department of Education
- Borrower is the parent or stepparent of a dependent student
- 7.21% fixed interest rate
- Funds are sent directly to the school
- Student must be enrolled at least half-time in a degree-granting program
- Student must be meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Parent may borrow up to the cost of attendance less any other offered aid
- Parent Borrower must complete and sign a Master Promissory Note
- If the Parent PLUS Loan application is denied, student may be offered $4000 to $5000
in an additional unsubsidized Direct Loan. Contact the Office of Scholarships and
Financial Aid for more information at (231) 591-2110.
- Origination fee of 4.288%
For Summer 2014, select the 2013-2014 Award Year with a Loan Period of 05/2014 - 08/2014
For Academic year 2014-2015, select the 2014-2015 Award Year with a Loan Period of
8/2014 - 5/2015
To Apply for the Parent PLUS Loan:
Please read these instructions BEFORE accessing the application.
- To apply you must click the Sign In button at the website provided in step 6 below
- Enter the FAFSA PIN of the parent that is applying for this loan. If you do not have a PIN number go to
www.pin.ed.gov and apply for a PIN, or if you have forgotten your PIN you may "Request a Duplicate
- To begin the PLUS Loan Application Process, select "Request a Direct PLUS Loan"
- Select Parent PLUS
- Complete the four application steps
- Access the Parent PLUS Loan Application at www.studentloans.gov now!
4.288% Loan Origination Fee
Student must be enrolled at least half-time in a degree-granting program. (6 credit
hours for undergraduate students). Parent borrower must complete and sign a Master
NEW FOR FALL 2013 IF STUDENT ENROLLS less than FULL time (less than 12 credit hours for undergraduate
students, less than 9 credit hours for graduate students), the cost of attendance
will be adjusted based on actual enrollment after the 4th day of class. This adjustment may reduce the amount of aid that student is eligible
to receive and may change the account balance due or the amount of refund. For more
information on what this could mean for you, visit the Cost of Attendance page on the Financial Aid website.
PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note