- The Vice President or his/her designee may act immediately without following the hearing
procedures established by the University and impose an interim suspension if it is
determined that the student’s or organization’s continued presence on the campus constitutes
a serious threat to self, other people, or property.
- A student who is issued an interim suspension and excluded from the University shall
be required to leave the property of the University immediately and shall be notified
that he or she will thereafter be treated as a trespasser if he or she returns to
university property without proper authorization. Within twenty-four hours after the
student is excluded, a written notice must be sent to the student by regular mail
informing the student of the following:
- That the student has been issued an interim suspension from the University;
- That the student has been excluded from being on University property;
- That the student will be considered a trespasser if he or she returns to University
property without proper authorization;
- The reasons for the interim suspension from the University and the exclusion from
University property; and
- That the Director of Student Conduct will be initiating disciplinary action against
- The Director of Student Conduct shall initiate disciplinary proceedings against a
student who has been issued an interim suspension and excluded from the University.
- The student shall thereafter be permitted to enter the University campus only for
the limited purpose of participating in the disciplinary proceedings conducted under
- The Director of Student Conduct may require that the student be escorted to and from
the disciplinary proceedings by members of the University police department.
- Every attempt will be made to act expeditiously with the disciplinary proceedings.
- Within fourteen (14) business days after a student has been notified of the interim
suspension and exclusion from University property, the student may request an interim
suspension review hearing to determine whether the interim suspension should continue
or whether the student should be reinstated and allowed to return to University property.
- The request must be submitted in writing to the Vice President for Student Affairs
or his/her designee.
- The Vice President for Student Affairs or his/her designee shall select a hearing
officer or committee as provided by University policy.
- The hearing officer or committee shall hold a review hearing within seven (7) business
days after being selected by the Vice President for Student Affairs or his/her designee.
- The hearing officer or committee will review the information upon which the summary
action was based and recommend any further action:
- The reliability of the information concerning the students alleged misconduct including
the matter of his or her identity,
- whether the conduct and surrounding circumstances reasonably indicate that the condinued
presence of the student on University premises poses a serious threat to self, other
people, or property.
- The student is entitled to a support person of his or her choice at his or her own
expense, but such support person may not act as legal counsel.
- The student shall be permitted to enter the University campus for the limited purpose
of this hearing in accordance with the provisions in this code.
- The hearing officer or committee will make a decision by the end of the hearing and
notify the student and the Vice President for Student Affairs or his/her designee
concerning the recommendation.
- The hearing officer or committee may affirm the original decision and advise the student
that the interim suspension and temporary exclusion will continue until the student
is notified otherwise in the course of subsequent disciplinary proceedings, or the
hearing officer or committee may recommend that the student be reinstated pending
the conduct proceedings.
- The Vice President for Student Affairs or his/her designee will consider the recommendation
of the hearing committee but is not bound by the recommendation. The Vice President
for Student Affairs or his/her designee shall thereafter notify the student that the
student is reinstated or that the interim suspension and temporary exclusion are to
be continued pending the outcome of the disciplinary proceedings.