Employment & Orientation
Ferris State University offers a wide variety of full-time, part-time, continuing,
and temporary employment opportunities at our main campus in Big Rapids and in our
various off-campus locations throughout the state. We currently employ approximately
1,500 employees in the following categories:
- Administrative and Administrative Support - Examples of Administrative (and support) positions are Coaches, Program Directors
and Coordinators, Vice Presidents, Managers, Supervisors, Accountants, Network and
Computer Technicians, Residence Hall Directors, Administrative Assistants, and Deans.
- AFSCME (American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees) - Examples of AFSCME
positions are Food Service Workers, Cooks,Custodians, Grounds Workers, Bus Drivers,
Stockroom Coordinators, and skilled trades positions.
- CTA(Clerical Technical Association)- Examples of CTA positions are Clerks, Telephone
Operators, Account Clerks, Secretaries, Cable TV Technicians, Payroll Clerks, and
Financial Aid Assistants.
- Faculty- Full-time Tenure-track (9- and 12-month), Full-time temporary (one academic year),
or supplemental/adjunct faculty positions exist in all of the University's eleven
- Other employment categories also includeFNTFO (Ferris Non-Tenure Faculty Organization), Nurses, Public Safety Officers, and
Public Safety Supervisors.
Labor Relations – Collective Bargaining Agreements
Part-time Employment – clerical, support professional and professional are the classifications
of part-time employment. Part-time assignments can be both temporary or continuing
and are restricted to a maximum of 28 hours per week.
Student Employment – Employment for students who are enrolled in at least 6 credits
To access pay stub information you will log into MyFSU on the Workplace tab under
Pay Information. You may change your W-4 exemptions through MyFSU as well.
Human Resources conducts New Employee Orientation every Monday at 8:00 a.m. The orientation
is held at Human Resources, Prakken Building, Room 150. New employees are required
to attend this new orientation on or before their date of hire.
Information that will be completed at New Employee Orientation:
- Employee Biographic/Demographic Information
- I-9 Form (Authorization to Work in the United States)
- Information about documentation that is required to bring to prove authorization to
work in the United States (Click the image on the right)
- Michigan Public School Employee Retirement Systems Questionnaire
- Faculty/Staff ID Card
- Vehicle Registration
- Vehicle information will be needed to complete the form, including make, model, and
license plates for vehicles. You are able to request a hanging tag for multiple vehicles,
but you will need to include the same information for all of the vehicles.
- You will be issued a temporary parking pass until the permanent parking pass is issued
by Public Safety.
- Direct Deposit Authorization
- Conflict of Interest Policy
New Employee Orientation
New employee orientation will typically take place between 8:00am and 12:00pm.
Any questions should be directed to the Student Employment Office at 231-591-2110.
Ferris State University's pay schedule is bi-weekly. Direct Deposit information is
provided to employees with new hire paperwork. To make changes, log into MyFSU >
Workplace under Employee Services and update your Direct Deposit information.
Ferris appreciates those who are willing to donate their time to contribute their
expertise to further the mission of FSU.
These procedures are intended to help a productive and mutually beneficial experience
while outlining appropriate expectations for both volunteers/affiliates and the sponsoring