Research Integrity & Compliance
- Institutional Review Board for Human Subjects Research (IRB)
Based on Ferris State Policy and Federal Regulations set forth by the Department of
Health & Human Services, all research protocols involving human subjects must be reviewed
and approved by the FSU IRB Committee prior to beginning research.
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
Responsible for the use of animals in university research and instructional activities.
IACUC reviews protocols, the animal care & use program and monitors university animal
facilities to ensure compliance with standards and regulatory requirements set forth
by the USDA and Public Health Service Policy.
Investigators, including students, conducting research without the proper approval
will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action.
- Complete the necessary education and CITI Training specific to their research, as well as Responsible Conduct of Research.
- Comply with the Ferris Conflict of Interest Policy and report any Significant Financial Interest that could have a substantial impact
on design, execution, or reporting of a research project to the Office of Academic
Research. Incidents of a conflict of interest (reported or discovered) may be shared
with granting agencies.
- Abide by all Ferris Information Technology (IT) Policies.
- Adhere to the Federal Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Follow all Ferris business policies, including but not limited to:
Faculty are encouraged to contact the Director of Laboratory Safety, Anne Hawkins (AnneHawkins@ferris.edu, 231-591-2154) to make sure compliance, training, and safety issues do not delay
the start of lab-based projects. Faculty responsible for a research lab in any academic
unit or college should familiarize themselves with the policies and procedures of
the Safety, Health, Environmental & Risk Management (SHERM) Office.
Office of Academic Research
Ferris State University
220 Ferris Drive, PHR 312
Big Rapids, MI 49307