Vacant Position Salaries
May 9, 2000

00:4 (Replaces 99:7)




Salary savings from vacant positions in Academic Affairs are captured centrally immediately after the position is vacated, and all vacant positions revert to Academic Affairs for review and possible reallocation. The policy for requesting to fill a vacant position, requesting salary augmentation of a vacant position, and access to vacant position salary to meet classroom replacement needs are as follows:

The Hiring Approval Form (HAF) request to permanently fill a vacant tenure-track position or to fill a vacancy with a one-year temporary person must include justification for the request. The justification must include faculty loads, release time or overloads, and adjunct, one-semester or one-year temporary faculty in the program/curriculum for the past two years. In addition, future plans for program focus, enrollment and staffing must be included in the justification.

The justification for the salary request must include data from comparable national or regional institutions of higher education, and/or business and industry data that documents the need for this salary to competitively recruit qualified faculty and staff. This information must accompany the HAF. A copy of the position vacancy announcement must also be included.

If the HAF is approved by the VPAA, the salary for either the permanent replacement (as long as it does not exceed the budget in the vacant position – see #4) or the one-year temporary replacement will be fully funded by the Operations Analyst in the Academic Affairs Office. No additional funding requests will be required.

If the HAF is requesting a salary greater than the budget in the vacant position, a request for salary augmentation must be made on the HAF. If approved by the VPAA, the augmentation will be funded from differential salary funds central to the Division of Academic Affairs, or if such funds are not available, augmentation will be requested from the University's pooled compensation.

If a vacant tenure-track faculty position is not filled during a fiscal year, the dean may request that the classroom duties of that position be met through adjunct, overload, or one-semester temporary replacements (all must be coded 1411 – vacant position replacement – on the EAA). The request must be submitted to the Operations Analyst in the Vice President for Academic Affairs Office, and must identify the vacant position number requiring the replacement need. If the request is approved by the VPAA, a funding source (position number) will be provided from which the associated costs will be funded. This funding source must appear on the EAA . If the funding source is not identified on the EAA, it will not be processed by the Finance Office, which may result in a delay of a paycheck being issued.


At such time that a replacement adjunct, overload, or one-semester temporary person has been identified to fill a vacancy need, the following steps for funding approval must be completed:

Send an E-mail to the Operations Analyst in the VPAA’s Office with the following information:

· vacant position number requiring replacement need

· person who previously filled now vacant position

· type of replacement (adjunct, overload, or one-semester temporary)

· replacement position number

· replacement account number

· name of replacement

· dollar amount needed for replacement expenses


Vacant Position Number: 11111

Previously Filled By: John Doe

Temporary Replacement Type: one-semester temp

Replacement Position Number: 810XXX

Replacement Account Number: X-XXXXX-1411

Replacement Name: Jane Doe

$ needed for Replacement: $5,000

If the funding request is approved by the VPAA, the Operations Analyst will "reply with history" to the E-mail as follows:


Print a copy of the returned E-mail with the approval and identified funding source.

In the comment section of the EAA, include the words and highlight:


Attach a copy of the E-mail approval to the original EAA and the pink copy that is forwarded to the VPAA’s Office, and then distribute the EAA to the appropriate departments.