Mission, Vision, Core Values
Ferris State University's Mission
Ferris State University prepares students for successful careers, responsible citizenship,
and lifelong learning. Through its many partnerships and its career-oriented, broad-based
education, Ferris serves our rapidly changing global economy and society.
Ferris State University's Vision Statement
Ferris State University will be: The recognized leader in integrative education, where theory meets practice throughout
the curriculum, and where multi-disciplinary skills important in a global economy
are developed with the result that Ferris State University will also be:
- The preferred choice for students who seek specialized, innovative, career- and life-enhancing
- The premier educational partner for government, communities, agencies, businesses,
and industries through applied research and joint ventures
- A stimulating, student-centered academic environment that fosters life-long engagement,
leadership, citizenship, and continuing intellectual development
- A university that aligns its practices and resources in support of its core values
of collaboration, diversity, ethical community, excellence, learning, and opportunity
Adopted March 21, 2008
Ferris State University's Core Values
- Collaboration: Ferris contributes to the advancement of society by building partnerships with students,
alumni, business and industry, government bodies, accrediting agencies, and the communities
the University serves.
- Diversity: By providing a campus which is supportive, safe, and welcoming, Ferris embraces a
diversity of ideas, beliefs, and cultures.
- Ethical Community: Ferris recognizes the inherent dignity of each member of the University community
and treats everyone with respect. Our actions are guided by fairness, honesty, and
- Excellence: Committed to innovation and creativity, Ferris strives to produce the highest quality
outcomes in all its endeavors.
- Learning: Ferris State University values education that is career-oriented, balances theory
and practice, develops critical thinking, emphasizes active learning, and fosters
responsibility and the desire for the lifelong pursuit of knowledge.
- Opportunity: Ferris, with a focus on developing career skills and knowledge, provides opportunities
for civic engagement, leadership development, advancement, and success.