General Education at Ferris State University
Social Awareness Courses
Social Awareness Course CriteriaCourse criteria should reflect the Social Awareness Outcomes:
The intent of this outcome is to offer students both a better understanding of how
human beings behave, as individuals, as part of groups, and as members of larger social
institutions. The outcomes also intends to offer students an understanding of the
methodologies used to understand a variety of human behaviors and the functioning
of a variety of social institutions. The outcome attempts to recognize that to understand
ourselves we need to understand our psychological, social, economic, and political
Social Awareness courses then should:
- have as their core subject matter human development and behavior, group interactions,
or established social institutions.
- offer theories for the understanding of the subject matter.
- offer an established methodology for approaching the subject matter.
- be identifiable as general education in social awareness or its closest equivalent
at other institutions.
- be taught by faculty with qualifications and background (such as graduate training
and teaching experience) in the subject matter that meet the standards for university
level instruction in that discipline.