General Education at Ferris State University
Scientific Understanding Outcomes Criteria
Students who have successfully completed their coursework in scientific understanding
Students should recognize that:
- have a working knowledge of the fundamental principles of a natural science discipline;
- be able to use appropriate scientific reasoning skills to interpret and analyze content
in the natural sciences;
- have a basic understanding of the scientific method, scientific concepts, and the
evolution of scientific ideas;
- have a more positive attitude toward science and an increased confidence in their
ability to understand science.
- the physical universe is understandable;
- scientific ideas are not static, but rather are dynamic and change over time;
- scientific principles are testable;
- scientific knowledge is based on a vast number of observations.