Enrollment increases throughout the early years brought the necessity of renting extra space where it could be found. The Ferris' decided it was time to construct their own building to house their school in the spring of 1893. Architects planned a building with a basement and 2 additional floors for a total of a little over 24,000 square feet. An 85 foot tower was to be the focal point of the building.
The building was completed and dedicated on January 1, 1894. It was constructed of red brick with Vermont purple slate for the roof. A memorable feature of the building was the main auditorium where "Morning Exercises" were held. Despite the state-of-the-art plumbing installed, the bathrooms were reported to smell terribly, and caused much consternation to Mr. Ferris. A flurry of correspondence was sent to the contractor with demands to repair the problem.
Timeline highlights change weekly. Stop back soon to read more about Ferris history!